Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Muggy days




I love the hot muggy days of August. We do not have humidity in CA. and it does not seem like summer without those days of heavy air that is so moist one can hardly take a deep breath without choking. Today it is a little muggy out, with the skies hazy and overcast. If I lived in the midwest I would think there might be an afternoon thunderstorm, but that will not happen on the west coast. It is one of those perfect lazy days of summer when you wish for a cool place to sit, a glass of something iced and a wonderful book to lose yourself in for hours. I've been spending this summer rereading some of my favorite books and it has been great. I love books. I have a whole collection of my favorites that I'm glad I've kept because it has been a good way to spend my time. If you don't mind leave me the name of your favorite book,that I can add to my list. It would be a good thing to update my collection.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, come over to our house and you'd feel like it was summer for three to four months! Every day is a muggy day and it will stay so well into October when I'll be dreaming of fall temperatures... Heck, I'm already dreaming of fall temps now!

    My favorite book...does it have to be one? Well, there are some classics like To Kill a Mockingbird and Gone with the Wind. I just read a great book called Carter Beat the Devil. I loved Empire Falls, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Ella Minnow Pea, The Sparrow, and it's sequel Children of God, etc. Can you tell I love books. Just recently, I read a book in Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series - they make me laugh out loud until I have tears running down my face - love that!!

    Happy reading! Hugs, Silke

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to know your favorite books - you must share your list!
    Some of my favorites that come to mind (in no particular order) are: Water for Elephants, To Kill a Mockingbird, The Old Man and the Sea, The Kite Runner, Cold Mountain, Cold Sassy Tree, Angela's Ashes, James and the Giant Peach, The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder, The Buccaneers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorrie, this is a lesser known book by Richard Adams of Watership Down fame. Its title is
    The Girl in a Swing
    Its the story of a man who is a dealer in antique ceramics, a woman he meets and what ensues. IT takes place in England and Denmark, and since Richard Adams is a ceramic collector in real life, the backstory is fascinating, and very vivid. What do you think? Does it sound up your alley?

    ReplyDelete
  4. going to hot arizona today...love you much...

    ReplyDelete