Monday, September 28, 2009

Filling the void




"My" farmers market was taken over this weekend by an Italian festival. Where the fruit and vegetable stalls normally were parked, booths of crafts and food goodies filled in instead. The farmers market still went on but was set up on a side street. My favorite tomato vendor was not there. I was thrilled the town was hosting a festival but was disappointed in the caliber of arts and crafts. I do not consider Mary Kay or Tupperware items that should be sold at an art fair. So as you can imagine the whole event seemed rather shabby and sad to me. I felt bad for the artist that were there sitting in the hot sun without much enthusiasm. One good part of the event was the sidewalk painters, I wish there had been more. I took these photos at about 4pm the girl who was painting said she had started at 10am. I imagined her sitting on that sea of blue getting lost in the colors and losing all sense of time. That meditative process fills voids that have long been empty and had no answers. I am coming to realize that I've spent many years ignoring the "artist" in me and have been so empty because of it. Doing art has brought me so much peace that I can't imagine my life ever without it.

5 comments:

  1. I just love this image of the artist truly getting into her work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The artist reminds me of artists on the streets in Florence!
    Oh, I so agree about things like Tupperware at an art show/sale. They should be monitored and not allowed. I'm glad at least you found the artist, and thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing the pictures and your thoughts! I don't think Tupperware is in line with art, not even with Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photograph- sure wish I could create art as lovely as that. Looks like it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah for art! Glad you've discovered your inner artist and thanks for your photos and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete